September 13, 2015

Kentucky Coffee Tree Seeds


There's a whole variety of foods we can eat that are available to us from all around our environment. While I still enjoy all the fresh veggies and fruit from my local farmer's markets, I'm also interested in learning about how to identify and use wild foods sustainably. On a recent walk in Central Park with "Wildman" Steve Brill, I collected Kentucky coffee tree seeds that were laying around under the tree, some in pods but many just scattered around on the ground. Steve had let us all try carob truffles/energy balls he made with them and I wanted to make some as well on my own. I don't drink coffee but I still like the flavor and aroma. 

So after washing, I roasted the seeds for 3 hours at 300 degrees, following Steve's directions from his app Wild Edibles. Raw seeds are poisonous and roasting them kills the toxins. It's a good idea to cover them while roasting as the seeds pop and can make a mess in the oven. Scoop out the inside of the seeds and grind in a blender. 




Use in place of coffee or to flavor any mocha, chocolate, or carob recipe. Smells just like coffee! Aside from the energy balls, I also made a raw cacao vegan ice cream with a few tablespoons of the powder. A good caffeine-free substitute for coffee, just lying around the park under your feet!

No comments: