July 9, 2008

Brooklyn Botanical & Thoughts on My Impending Deportation

Went to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden last week with my friend Dan.
Getting ready to leave my home in Brooklyn for an indefinite period. I will be heading back to Canada to await a new work visa. I keep joking that I'm being deported, but since I'm leaving within the given grace period and not illegally overstaying, should I rather say that it's more like... um, an exile? Apparently, I need to be screened by this agency called the Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools... even though I graduated from NYU! Anyways, although I was upset at first, since I was still on orientation (a 3-month-long training as a new nurse before working without supervision), it gave me an unexpected vacation. The only downside, besides the obvious lack of income, is that this will set me back a few months in getting my very valuable first year experience. Not that I would want to work anywhere else, since I work at great hospital :) but in case I would ever have to work in Canada or something awful like that ;)



Well, because of the recent turn of events, I was able to visit my relatives in California and make it to my cousin's graduation from UCI. Above, a drawing of hers that arrived in my mailbox yesterday (I forgot to take it with me), which was inspired by Filipino artist BenCab's work.