July 30, 2008



Went to a wedding at a yacht club in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. The bride and I were roommates in Beijing when we taught English there during the summer of 2004. We reconnected in NY but the couple left for Turkey shortly after I arrived. They now live in Taiwan. Staying for the weekend, had some time to drive around and explore. Sturgeon Bay is one of the towns of Door County, a peninsula on the east shore of Lake Michigan. Went to a state park, local farmer's markets (where I discovered popcorn on the cob), and drove past the towns along the coast.



Stayed with the groom's neighbor, who recommended eating at Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant. The towns of the peninsula reflect the Scandinavian cultures of mostly Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic, German and Belgian immigrants. I ordered the Swedish Pancake Special, with Swedish meatballs and eggs over medium. The pancake was light, thin, and served with lingonberries (I couldn't wait to taste it and had to cover my bite with the fork for the picture!)



Flying out of Green Bay, WI. I believe that's Lambeau Field stadium, home to the Green Bay Packers. I know, I'm such a tourist.

No comments: