October 30, 2008



Can't get enough of Wong Kar Wai: Ashes of Time Redux with the late Leslie Cheung, playing at the Angelika. Yay, no work today! Some of my patients ask me what I do on my days off. I'd like to say that I go to museum exhibits and bike 100 miles around the city and try new restaurants. But most days, like today, I am lounging around at home in my scrubs (they're clean of course!) going through my books and magazines and thinking about doing laundry. In answer to that question, I usually mumble something like, "Oh I usually catch up on errands and do laundry" which is a pretty lame answer but it's close to the truth. But of course when I think about how lucky I am to not be stuck in the hospital, I feel like a loser for not waking up at 6 am to do laundry, bike around the neighborhood, and go to the Moma to see the Van Gogh exhibit for the rest of the day. Maybe next week. This is what I've been making lately:



 Almond Tofu Dessert
  • 2 envelopes of Knox unflavored gelatin
  • 1-2 cup of water
  • 1 teaspoon of almond extract
  • 1-2 cups of soy milk or whatever kind of milk you want
  • as much or little sugar as you want
  • fruit (I like strawberries and canned lychees)
Combine hot water, gelatin, almond extract, and sugar in a saucepan. (Don't dump the whole envelope of gelatin at once or it will clump-- mix in slowly, using a whisk.) Stir until all the gelatin has dissolved. Add milk. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours. Serve with fruit. You can add more or less liquid depending on how firm you want the jello to be. Makes about 4 servings, but I can eat it all in one sitting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes!!! Now I can make some too!