November 5, 2008



I have to confess that for a political science major, I have been deliberately ignorant about politics since the onset of the recent presidential campaign-- mostly because I didn't care who won either way. And even after it was pretty clear that Obama had a very good chance of winning, one of the reasons why I still wasn't eager to jump on his bandwagon was because I was tired of hearing the word "change" uttered so many times, riling up such fervent cheers at its every mention. However, as I watched Obama deliver his victory speech last night, I want to say in the most non-partisan way that... the man has good taste in music! Obama said, "It's been a long time coming," an allusion to one of the greatest songs ever, A Change is Gonna Come, which Sam Cooke wrote after hearing Bob Dylan's Blowing in the Wind, but wrote-- and sang-- from a much deeper, personal perspective (that of a black man living in America during the 1960's). In contrast to Sam Cooke's beautiful but aching tone, last night Obama declared in a calm, steadfast voice, "Change has come to America". And so it has.

No comments: