December 30, 2012

Lima

First day in Peru we toured around the Colonial City of Lima and walked along the coast of the Miraflores district. My first impression of the city is that it reminded me of Manila, Philippines, where I was born. Spanish- influenced, cloudy and gritty, and obvious distinctions between economic classes. We caught a brief glimpse of pre-Incan adobe pyramid Huaca Pucllana and moved on to colonial Lima Centro. We took a walking tour of the Iglesia de San Francisco monastery and catacombs, which hold the skulls and bones of some seventy thousand people. Talk about haunting.

As I was planning out the trip, I had read that if you only have a short time in Peru, one could skip Lima altogether. Although I'm glad I got to see the city, next time (hopefully there will be a next time) I will take that advice and opt to spend more time exploring other areas of the country. Next post will be on Cusco!

No comments: