March 22, 2009



After a few sips of wine, beer, or any kind of alcohol, my face usually starts turning pink. After more sips (about half a drink), my face becomes the color of a plum and my skin starts developing small dots. Thus, my usual response after being offered a drink is to decline it. The embarrassment of turning near purple usually trumps my embarrassment of not being able to drink, even though I do feel a little left out sometimes. But now I actually have some facts to base my strange aversion towards alcohol, thanks to the NY Times. My hunch was accurate-- turning purple is a warning sign!!! (Do you hear me, Charles?!) Speaking of cancer, I just off from work. Relatively smooth night with 6 male patients. One of them told me I need to get a life after I said I spent my day off sleeping (this coming from a 71 year old.) So... I'm going to try and stay awake today. And do something other than sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't turn purple!

and... isn't a glass of red wine good for you too? conflicting studies, charles, conflicting studies... who to believe???

Angie said...

isn't turning purple enough evidence in itself? and i'm not the only person that thinks so... as confirmed by neil, you do turn purple! it's okay to admit it- i turn purple too!

charles said...

i like to think it is a rosy hue.

i still like wine.