June 16, 2011


Driving on the Taconic, all I saw were cops and deer. Makes for a cautious drive, even if the scenery is gorgeous. This week at the farm/garden, I learned how to prune tomatoes. It's so satisfying, I could prune all day! I'll have to tend to my own tomato plants today. What else did we do... trellised the peas, harvested lettuces and kale, transplanted rows of pistou basil for the herb garden, weeded of course. The time just passes so fast while I'm there, always lots to do.

Neil cooked hamburgers with shoestring fries last night, very satisfying after a long day. He had gone to the Union Square Greenmarket yesterday and met Keith Stewart of Keith's Farm. He told him what I was doing and he gave me a free copy of his book! I've wanted to read It's a Long Road to a Tomato for a while now, especially after I saw his posting for internship positions. I didn't want to live somewhere else for an entire season though, but I'm sure it would be a wonderful experience. Anyways, I'm very happy to have his book now. And his tomatoes were really good with the hamburger! 

Also, first blueberries of the season were at the Greenmarket. So much good fruit during the summer!

2 comments:

Sherwin said...

That burger looks so good- I still have to try Neil's legendary cooking! haha

Angie said...

Next time you visit nyc!